Getting Your Business Established

Starting a Business in Boulder

In this section...

City of Boulder

City of Boulder

Business Licensing

Business / Sales & Use Tax Licensing: The City of Boulder requires that anyone operating a business in Boulder be licensed. The license is called a Sales and Use Tax License, and a tax return must be filed each year, even with no sales tax revenue. The City’s Tax and Licensing division manages business licensing, sales tax, use and other tax filings, construction use tax reconciliation returns and various tax auditing functions.

Regulatory Licenses: The Regulatory Licenses section manages licensing for the following: auctions, dog tags, circus and carnivals, itinerant merchant for door to door sales, liquor, medical marijuana businesses, Business / Sales & Use Tax Licensing recreational marijuana businesses, mobile food vehicles, second hand dealer/pawnbrokers, and special event liquor permits for non-profits.

Planning and Development Services

Planning and Development Services coordinates all of the development-related functions for the City of Boulder. The department works to ensure the successful implementation of the City of Boulder’s planning and development regulations. Please see the 2023 Schedule of Fees through the City of Boulder for building permits fees, inspection fees, taxes, utility fees, impact fees, contractor license fees, development fees, application fees, etc.


Boulder County

Boulder County has information on property taxes, codes, licenses and energy efficiency programs. Restaurant and Food Vendors that handle and serve food must get a restaurant and vendor license through Boulder County Public Health.


State of Colorado

Businesses operating in Colorado will work with the various state agencies to meet all the requirements for doing business in the state, including:


Trademarks and Patents

To protect intellectual property, businesses may register a trademark or file for a patent. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office now has a satellite office in Denver, where companies may:

Trademarks may also be registered through the Colorado Secretary of State if your trademark is used only in Colorado. Registering in Colorado does not protect it against a federal trademark or copyright.

Other Helpful Links

Scroll to Top